Western USA - Pacific Northwest (PDF Chapter)
This is the Pacific Northwest chapter from Lonely Planet’s Western USA guidebook.
As much a state of mind as a geographical region, the northwest corner of the US is a land of subcultures and new trends, where evergreen trees frame snow-dusted volcanoes, and inspired ideas scribbled on the back of napkins become tomorrow’s start-ups.
- cycle and kayak around the quieter corners of San Juan Islands
- explore the gorgeous Oregon Coast, from scenic Astoria to balmy Port Orford
- admire trees older than Europe’s Renaissance castles in Olympic National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Washington, Seattle, Olympia, Olympic Peninsula, San Juan Islands, North Cascades, South Cascades, Oregon, Portland, Willamette Valley, Co-lumbia River Gorge, Oregon Cascades, Oregon Coast.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation