West Coast Australia - Monkey Mia & the Central West (PDF Chapter)
This is the Monkey Mia & the Central West chapter from Lonely Planet’s West Coast Australia guidebook.
The pristine coastline and sheltered turquoise waters of World Heritage–listed Shark Bay draw tourists and marine life from around the world. Aside from the dolphins of Monkey Mia, the bay’s submerged seagrass meadows host dugongs, rays, sharks and turtles.
- dive on ancient shipwrecks or take in the reef from the air at the Houtman Abrolhos Islands
- explore remote cliffs and beaches and spot marine life at Francois Peron National Park
- surf the wild Tombstones break or swim at divine Gnaraloo Bay
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Batavia Coast, Dongara-Port Denison, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Kalbarri National Park, Shark Bay, Shark Bay Road, Denham, Monkey Mia, Gascoyne Coast, Carnarvon, Quobba Coast, When to Go, Best Places to Stay.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.