West Africa - Mauritania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Mauritania chapter from Lonely Planet's West Africa guidebook.
Just as impressive as the cultural diversity is Mauritania's grand scenery. On offer are epic sand dunes, eye-popping plateaus, ancient caravan towns, and Parc National du Banc d'Arguin, a renowned (and World Heritage-listed) birdwatching site.
- wake up at the crack of dawn to catch a glorious sunrise from the labyrinthine lanes of the old city in Chinguetti
- experience the magic of the Sahara and sleep beneath the star-studded skies at the saffron dunes in the Adrar
- hop on the iron-ore train - one of the world's longest trains - and be ready for the most epic journey of your life
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Understand Mauritania, Mauritania Today, History, Culture, People of Mauritania, Arts & Crafts, Food & Drink, Environment, Directory, Transport, Nouakchott, The Atlantic Coast, Nouâdhibou, Parc National du Banc d'Arguin, The Adrar, Atâr, Terjît, Chinguetti, Ouadâne, Tanouchert, The Road to Mali, Oualâta, The Road to Senegal, Parc National Diawling.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.