West Africa - Guinea-Bissau (PDF Chapter)
This is the Guinea-Bissau chapter from Lonely Planet's West Africa guidebook.
Bare silver trees spring up like antler horns between swathes of elephant grass, and cashew sellers tease each other with an unmistakably Latin spirit. In the Bijagós hippos lumber through lagoons full of fish and you can spot turtles nesting.
- dance tango in cobbled streets by candlelight, after a dinner of bacalau (salted flakes of cod) and red wine at Bissau Velho
- lock eyes with hippos as they emerge from the warm saltwater lagoons of Ilha de Orango
- sit on the steps of the abandoned town hall, with its crumbling Greekstyle pillars, on the island of Bolama
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Understand Guinea-Bissau, Guinea-Bissau Today, History, Culture, People of Guinea-Bissau, Arts & Crafts, Food & Drink, Environment, Directory, Transport, Bissau, Arquipélago dos Bijagós, Ilha de Bolama, Ilha de Bubaque, Orango Islands National Park, The Northwest, Quinhámel, Varela, The Northeast, Bafatá & Gabú, The South, Buba, Jemberem & Parque Natural de Cantanhez.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.