Washington Oregon & the Pacific Northwest - Eastern Oregon (PDF Chapter)
This is the Eastern Oregon chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington, Oregon & the Pacific Northwest guidebook.
Eastern Oregon is sure to amaze. Among its extensive farmlands and desert plateaus are stunning attractions: the gorgeous snowy peaks of the Wallowa Mountains; Hells Canyon, which dips deeper than the Grand Canyon; the John Day Fossil Beds.
- find scenic heaven at North America’s deepest river gorge, Hells Canyon
- trek in ‘America’s Little Switzerland,’ Eagle Cap Wilderness, with or without a llama to help
- ooh and aah at the fantastic colors of John Day Fossil Beds Painted Hills Unit
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Pendleton, La Grande, Wallowa Mountains, Halfway, Baker City, John Day, Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Ontario, Burns, Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Lakeview, Steens Mountain and Alvord Desert.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.