Washington Oregon & the Pacific Northwest - Columbia River Gorge (PDF Chapter)
This is the Columbia River Gorge chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington, Oregon & the Pacific Northwest guidebook.
Cleanly dividing Oregon and Washington is the spectacular Columbia River Gorge, which was carved some 15,000 years ago by cataclysmic glaciers and floods. Hikers have plenty to keep them busy in the gorge, which features many steep, lovely trails.
- enjoy incredible panoramic views from Crown Point’s observatory, Vista House
- experience the giant Multnomah Falls and dozens of other gushing waterfalls up and down the gorge
- hike up the premier Eagle Creek Trail to heart-skipping heights
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: The Western Gorge & Columbia River Highway, Cascade Locks, Across the Border, Hood River, The Dalles & Around and Eastern Gorge.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
Washington Oregon & the Pacific Northwest - Olympic Peninsula & Washington Coast (PDF Chapter)