Washington, Oregon & the Pacific Northwest - Eastern Oregon (PDF Chapter)
This is the Eastern Oregon chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington, Oregon & the Pa-cific Northwest guidebook.
Eastern Oregon is sure to amaze. Among its farmlands and desert plateaus are stunning at-tractions: the gorgeous snowy peaks of the Wallowa Mountains; Hells Canyon, which dips deep-er than the Grand Canyon; and the incredible glacier-carved valleys of the Steens Mountain range.
- trek the lush, wildflower-covered slopes in ‘America’s Little Switzerland,’ Eagle Cap Wil-derness, with or without a llama to help
- ooh and aah at the striations of red, ocher and orange of the John Day Fossil Beds Painted Hills Unit, a section of the fantastic John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- wind along the road or river amid the dramatically steep walls of Hells Canyon, North America’s deepest river gorge
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Pendleton, La Grande, Wallowa Mountains, Enter-prise, Joseph, Wallowa Lake, Hells Canyon, Halfway, Baker City, John Day, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Ontario, Burns, Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Lakeview, Steens Mountain, Alvord Desert.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.