Washington, DC - White House Area & Foggy Bottom (PDF Chapter)
This is the White House Area & Foggy Bottom chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington DC guidebook.
By day the streets near the White House hum with the comings and goings of office workers, diplomats, lobbyists, tourists and bureaucrats. Spend at least a day explore the surrounding streets, admiring the architecture and visiting museums.
- wander through the White House’s ornately decorated reception rooms, viewing portraits of presidents and their wives, and perhaps bumping into Lincoln’s ghost roaming the halls at the president’s official abode
- knock back a Scotch or mint julep at Round Robin, one of America’s most famous hotel bars
- watch a free performance any night of the week at the Kennedy Center, a massive cultural center on the banks of the Potomac River
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.