Washington, DC - Northern Virginia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Virginia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington DC guidebook.
Northern Virginia is DC’s safe, green, well-trimmed neighbor, just across the picket fence of the Potomac River. It’s worth the Metro trip to visit Arlington and Alexandria, which combine cru-cial capital sites with historic areas, cozy pubs and a buzzing food scene.
- pay your respects at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, John F Kennedy Memorial, Chal-lenger Memorial and other places of commemoration and contemplation at the Arlington National Cemetery
- marvel at an extraordinary collection of planes, jets and even a space shuttle at the Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center
- cycle the Mount Vernon Trail to Theodore Roosevelt Island, Old Town Alexandria and George Washington’s estate
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.