Washington, DC - Georgetown (PDF Chapter)
This is the Georgetown chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington, DC guide-book.
Georgetown is a series of beautiful houses, reflecting the best of American Federal and Victo-rian architecture, interspersed with velvet green gardens, high-end shopping arcades, hushed restaurants and a preppie nightlife scene.
- swirl a cocktail in the same room where JFK proposed to Jackie at Martin’s Tavern
- meander through the ponds, pools and terraced formal gardens of Dumbarton Oaks
- escape the concrete jungle by walking or cycling a bit of the bucolic C&O Canal Tow-path
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout