Washington, DC - Downtown & Penn Quarter (PDF Chapter)
This is the Downtown & Penn Quarter chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington DC guidebook.
Take your pick from some of the city’s best sights: the National Archives, where the Declara-tion of Independence lies enshrined for viewing; Ford’s Theatre, where John Wilkes Booth shot Abraham Lincoln; or the Newseum, a whiz-bang, multistory collection of artifacts and cur-rent-events exhibits.
- gawp at the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights – the original founding documents of the USA, scrawled in cursive on yellowing parchment – at the Na-tional Archives
- browse the world’s largest collection of US art, from George Washington’s official portrait to Andy Warhol’s pop art, at the Reynolds Center for American Art & Portraiture
- see the very seat where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, and the pistol that did the job, at Ford’s Theatre
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.