Washington, DC - Day Trips from Washington, DC (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Washington, DC chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington, DC guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Washington, DC and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Mount Vernon and Shenandoah National Park.
- The beautifully preserved Mount Vernon estate of George Washington is a great place to explore the legacy of one of America’s great visionaries.
- Baltimore has a vibrant waterfront, top-notch art and history museums, and a totally under-rated eating and drinking scene.
- Maryland’s historic capital, Annapolis, has 18th-century architecture, great seafood restau-rants and a scenic harbor. Nearby, waterfront towns and islands dot Chesapeake Bay.
- Set on the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, peaceful Harpers Ferry is packed with historic sites and charming B&Bs. Great hikes and bike rides begin just out of town.
- Two of Virginia’s many small-town gems, Leesburg and nearby Middleburg have grand es-tates and delightful restaurants. Virginia’s up-and-coming wine region is nearby.
- The vast wilderness of Shenandoah National Park has hundreds of miles of hiking trails, plus plenty of scenic overlooks to take in the rolling verdure of the Blue Ridge Moun-tains.
Coverage includes: Mount Vernon, Baltimore, Annapolis, Harpers Ferry, Leesburg & Middleburg and Shenandoah National Park.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.