Washington, DC - Day Trips from Washington, DC (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Washington, DC chapter from Lonely Planet’s Washington DC guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Washington DC and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Mount Vernon and Baltimore.
- The beautiful estate Mount Vernon of George Washington is a great place to explore the legacy of one of America’s great visionaries.
- Baltimore has a vibrant waterfront, top-notch art and history museums, and a totally under-rated eating and drinking scene.
- Maryland’s small, historic capital, Annapolis, has 18th-century architecture, excellent sea-food restaurants and a scenic harbour.
- peaceful Harpers Ferry is packed with historic sites and charming cafes. Great hikes and bike rides begin just outside of town.
- Leesburg and nearby Middleburg have grand estates and delightful restaurants. Virginia’s thriving wine region beckons nearby.
- This vast wilderness of Shenandoah National Park has hundreds of miles of hiking trails, plus plenty of scenic overlooks to take in the rolling verdure of the Blue Ridge Moun-tains.
Coverage includes: Mount Vernon, Baltimore, Annapolis, Harpers Ferry, Leesburg & Middleburg, Shenandoah National Park.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout