Venice & the Veneto - Murano, Burano & the Northern Islands (PDF Chapter)
Small islands dot the northern lagoon like shards of green glass splintering off the mainland. The northernmost are sleepy, with only the pretty town of Burano attracting significant tourists. Murano’s glass workshops conjure writhing chandeliers and gem-bright jewellery from their red-hot furnaces.
- engage with visions of angels, saints and dastardly demons within the golden glow of an-cient mosaics in the lagoon’s oldest church, Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta
- witness artistry in action at Murano’s glass-blowing showrooms, and reward the skill and originality with purchases of unique mementoes to take home
- watch colourful houses shimmer with delight at their own reflections in the canals on Burano
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating & Drinking, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.