Venice & the Veneto - Dorsoduro (PDF Chapter)
The neighbourhood of San Marco is Venice’s oldest and most famous. With the palace, pris-ons, government offices, mint and library crowding around the basilica, Piazza San Marco was the fulcrum of Venetian power, and it still attracts throngs of visitors today.
- join the chorus of gasps rippling through the crowd as you enter the Basilica di San Marco, looking up to discover angels dancing across 8500 sq metres of glittering golden mosa-ics
- discover over-the-top state rooms, dark secrets, dingy prisons and blockbuster exhibitions behind the rosy façade of Palazzo Ducale
- shout ‘Brava!’ for encore performances from one of the boxes at La Fenice, Venice’s jew-el-box opera house.
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.