Venice & the Veneto - San Polo & Santa Croce (PDF Chapter)
This is the San Polo & Santa Croce chapter from Lonely Planet’s Venice & the Vene-to guidebook.
So this is how Venice lives when it’s not busy entertaining. These twin sestieri are a warren of winding lanes in which you can easily lose yourself for hours browsing artisan studios and neighbourhood churches, before emerging in sunny campi (squares).
- see lightning strike indoors at lavish Scuola Grande di San Rocco, where Tintoretto’s streaky brushwork illuminated hope in a time of plague, death and despair
- watch Titian’s red-hot Madonna light up cavernous I Frari, lined with fanciful memorials to the city’s politicians and artists
- work up a serious appetite over lagoon surf and turf at gut-rumbling, produce-bursting Ri-alto Market
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.