Venice & the Veneto - San Marco (PDF Chapter)
This is the San Marco chapter from Lonely Planet’s Venice & the Veneto guide-book.
The neighbourhood of San Marco is Venice’s oldest and most famous. With the palace, pris-ons, government offices, mint and library crowding around the basilica, Piazza San Marco was the fulcrum of Venetian power and it attracts the majority of visitors today.
- join the chorus of gasps rippling through the crowd as you enter Venice’s magnificent Ba-silica di San Marco, looking up to discover angels dancing across 8500 sq metres of glit-tering golden mosaics
- discover over-the-top state rooms, dark secrets, dingy prisons and blockbuster exhibitions behind the rosy façade of the Palazzo Ducale
- shout ‘Brava!’ from one of the boxes at Venice’s jewel-box La Fenice for an encore perfor-mance
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout