Venice & the Veneto - Murano, Burano & the Northen Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Murano, Burano & the Northern Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Venice & the Veneto guidebook.
A multitude of islands dot the northern lagoon like shards of green glass splintering off the mainland. The northernmost islands are sleepy, with only pretty Burano attracting significant tourists. Murano’s famous glass workshops continue to conjure magic from their red-hot furnac-es.
- engage with visions of angels, saints and dastardly demons within the golden glow of an-cient mosaics in Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta, the lagoon’s oldest church
- witness artistry in action at Murano’s glass-blowing showrooms, explore glass-making his-tory at the Museo del Vetro, and shop for a unique memento
- watch colourful houses shimmer with delight at their own reflections in Burano’s canals, and learn about the island’s lacy legacy
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.