Venice & the Veneto - Giudecca, Lido & the Southern Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Giudecca, Lido & the Southern Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Venice & the Veneto guidebook.
Other cities have suburban sprawl; Venice has medieval monasteries floating in teal-blue waters. To the east and south, the seaward side of the lagoon is sheltered from the Adriatic by Pellestrina and the Lido di Venezia, for centuries the bastions of the city.
- immerse yourself in the bright serenity of Palladio’s eye-catching Chiesa di San Giorgio Maggiore and ascend its campanile (bell tower) for spectacular views over San Marco
- view Palladio’s cloister, Longhena’s elegant library and a precise reproduction of Verone-se’s vast Wedding Feast at Cana in the refectory where it originally hung, at Fondazione Giorgio Cini
- gain insights from one of the resident Armenian monks as you tour around Monastero di San Lazzaro degli Armeni, their island home
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.