Venice & the Veneto - Castello (PDF Chapter)
This is the Castello chapter from Lonely Planet’s Venice & the Veneto guide-book.
Stretching eastwards from San Marco, Castello is the city’s most sprawling neighbourhood – exploring its entirety in one blast will test your walking shoes. Start with its most compelling sites, including the masterfully grand Zanipolo church and the recently inaugurated Ocean Space gal-lery.
- take an early-morning or evening stroll along the Riva degli Schiavoni, Castello’s pictur-esque waterfront promenade
- gawk at the sheer scale of 14th-century Zanipolo and admire the masterworks of painting and sculpture contained within
- view classical statuary in theatrical Palazzo Grimani, which was designed as a stage set around them
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.