Venice & the Veneto - Cannaregio (PDF Chapter)
This is the Cannaregio chapter from Lonely Planet’s Venice & the Veneto guide-book.
Cannaregio is a well-balanced residential neighbourhood of unpretentious, patrician palazzi (mansions), picturesque campi (squares) and quiet canals. It also has some of the city’s best lo-cal bars, restaurants and shops.
- explore The Ghetto, the historic island home/prison of Venice’s Jewish community, which offered refuge from the Inquisition and sparked a Renaissance in thought
- discover Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli, the marble-clad church that marked a turning point in the city’s ecclesiastical architecture
- pay respects to the genius of Tintoretto at Chiesa della Madonna dell’Orto, a simple struc-ture filled with the master’s works
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout