USA's Best Trips - Great Lakes Trips (PDF Chapter)
This is the Great Lakes Trips chapter from Lonely Planet’s USA’s Best Trips guidebook.
The Great Lakes themselves are huge, like inland seas. Dairy farms and orchards blanket the region, meaning fresh pie and ice cream await trip-takers. Big cities such as Chicago and Minneapolis rise up and provide awesome doses of culture and entertainment.
- take a spin along Lake Michigan’s shore, featuring beaches, wineries and island-hopping
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- trace the Mississippi River through bluff-strewn scenery and retro small towns along the Great River Road
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- pass waterfalls and moose on Highway 61, hugging Lake Superior’s rugged edge
- discover even more with walking tours, detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Michigan’s Gold Coast, Along the Great River Road, Highway 61.