USA - Great Plains (PDF Chapter)
This is the Great Plains chapter from Lonely Planet’s USA guidebook.
Amid the endless horizons are cosmopolitan oases like Kansas City, alpine wonders in the Black Hills, and soaring bluffs along the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. The word great applies: great scenery, great food, great people. But none of it is plain.
- immerse yourself in the blues rhythms of St Louis, one of America’s great old cities
- find mountain highs within the Black Hills, rising above the golden plains
- gape at the wildly striated, otherworldly landscapes of America’s lesser-known Badlands, Theodore Roosevelt National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Missouri, St Louis, St Charles, Hannibal, Springfield, The Ozarks, Kansas City, Independence, St Joseph, Iowa, Des Moines, Sioux City, Davenport, Iowa City, Amana Colonies, Cedar Valley, Mt Vernon, Dubuque, Iowa’s Great Lakes, North Da-kota, Fargo, Bismarck, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, South Dakota, Sioux Falls, Chamber-lain, Pierre, Wall, Badlands National Park, Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Black Hills, Nebraska, Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island, North Platte, Valentine, Nebraska Panhandle, Kansas, Wichita, Lawrence, Topeka, Chase County, Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Guthrie, Anadarko, Mus-kogee, Tahlequah.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation