USA - Alaska (PDF Chapter)
This is the Alaska chapter from Lonely Planet’s USA guidebook.
Pure, raw, unforgiving and humongous in scale, Alaska is a place that arouses basic in-stincts and ignites what Jack London termed the ‘call of the wild’ – to climb an unclimbed moun-tain or walk where – quite conceivably – no human foot has trodden before.
- gawk at the hulking, icy mass of Mt Denali in Denali National Park & Preserve
- explore the world-class Anchorage Museum, before heading out for some summer night-life
- see (and hear!) chunks of ice fall dramatically from the face of Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Anchorage, Southeast Alaska, Wrangell, Sitka, Ju-neau, Haines, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, Ketchikan, Fairbanks.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation