Tokyo - West Tokyo (PDF Chapter)
This is the West Tokyo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guidebook.
What makes this part of Tokyo so fascinating is that each of the neighbourhoods along the Chuo train line has, somehow, organically developed its own particular culture. Nakano is popular with otaku; while Koenji, just one stop away, attracts street artists and social activists.
- delight in the creativity of Japan’s legendary animator, Miyazaki Hayao, and savour the magic and wonder of his films in the Ghibli Museum, the museum he designed
- stroll through the woodsy grounds of one of Tokyo’s best parks, Inokashira-koen, and pay your respects to the sea goddess enshrined here
- wander the halls of the vintage 1960s Nakano Broadway shopping mall, a collectors’ paradise and a favourite destination for otaku (fans of anime and manga).
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.