Tokyo - West Tokyo (PDF Chapter)
This is the West Tokyo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guidebook.
West Tokyo is defined by the largely residential neighbourhoods along the Chūō line. Most of the neighbourhoods here have nomiyagai, strips crammed with tiny bars and restaurants that come alive in the evenings – proof that these suburbs are anything but sleepy.
- delight in the creativity of Japan’s legendary animator, Miyazaki Hayao, and savour the magic and wonder of his films in Ghibli Museum, which he designed.
- amble through the woodsy grounds of beloved Inokashira-kōen, past buskers and performance artists, and pay your respects to the sea goddess enshrined here.
- wander the halls of Nakano Broadway, a vintage 1960s shopping mall that is a collectors’ paradise and favourite of otaku (fans of anime and manga).
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.