Tokyo - Ueno & Yanesen (PDF Chapter)
You could spend a whole day in Ueno-kōen, one of Tokyo’s top draws. Nearby, Ueno is a trio of neighbourhoods that time seemingly forgot: Yanaka, Nezu and Sendagi, collectively known as Yanesen. Yanaka, in particular, has a high concentration of vintage wooden structures and more than a hundred temples and shrines.
- get schooled in Japanese art history at the finest collection of Japanese art and cultural artefacts in the world at Tokyo National Museum, home to samurai swords, ukiyo-e (woodblock prints) and gilded screens.
- admire the inspired views across Rikugi-en, one of Tokyo’s most beautiful formal gardens with its central pond, teahouses, stone bridges and manicured foliage.
- stroll through the expansive Ueno-kōen, chock-a-block with museums, temples and a zoo.
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.