Tokyo - Ueno & Yanesen (PDF Chapter)
This is the Ueno & Yanesen chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guidebook.
Ueno is the cultural heart of Tokyo, with the highest concentration of museums – you could easily spend a whole day just exploring the sights in and around Ueno-koen. Yanesen is a charming part of Tokyo that feels like time stopped several decades ago.
- get schooled in Japanese art history at the Tokyo National Museum, the finest collection of Japanese art and cultural artefacts in the world
- admire the poetically inspired views across one of Tokyo’s most beautiful formal gardens, Rikugi-en, with its central pond, teahouses, stone bridges and manicured foliage
- stroll through expansive park Ueno-koen, chock-a-block with museums, temples and even a zoo
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.