Tokyo - Shinjuku & Northwest Tokyo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Shinjuku & Northwest Tokyo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guidebook.
Shinjuku is a city within a city, with soaring skyscrapers and Tokyo’s largest entertainment district. Come in the morning for views of Mt Fuji, or at dusk to see the city shine.
- find your new favourite bar among the warren of rickety wooden buildings that make up beloved, bohemian Golden Gai
- see the metropolis extend all the way to the horizon from the (free!) 202m-high observato-ries atop the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, also an architectural landmark
- laze or picnic on the lawn at the beloved urban oasis of Shinjuku-gyoen, a former imperial garden, while gazing up at the surrounding skyscrapers
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout