Tokyo - Shibuya & Shimo-Kitazawa (PDF Chapter)
This is the Shibuya & Shimo-Kitazawa chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guidebook.
Shibuya is, above all, an entertainment district and it really comes alive at night. There are dance clubs, live-music venues, theatres and cinemas galore. It’s also worth spending some time in Shimo-Kitazawa, home to cafes and vintage shops, dive bars and underground live-music venues.
- lose yourself in the crowds at Shibuya Crossing, Japan’s busiest intersection, and get swept along in the beating heart of desire, aspiration and materialism that is Shibuya.
- eat, drink and shop your way down the Shibuya Center-gai’s always lively, neon-lit main drag.
- get lost in the tiny alleyways of well-loved, bohemian Shimo-Kitazawa, which offers a picture of how Tokyo might look if hippies – not bureaucrats – ran the city.
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.