Tokyo - Harajuku & Aoyama (PDF Chapter)
This is the Harajuku & Aoyama chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guidebook.
Harajuku is Tokyo’s real-life catwalk, a world-renowned shopping destination where the ultra-chic (and chic-in-training) come to browse and be seen. In Aoyama, there are some swanky establishments that fuel the well-heeled after hours. There are some excellent dinner options, if you’ve planned for a splurge night.
- leave the city behind as you pass through the towering cedar torii (gate), which marks the entrance to the abode of the gods, and follow the wooded, gravel path to Meiji-jingū, Tokyo’s most impressive Shintō shrine.
- gawk at the contemporary architecture on Omote-sandō, the work of Japan’s leading architects, and the eyebrow-raising consumerism along this wide, tree-lined boulevard.
- stretch out on the grassy lawn or catching a food festival at Yoyogi-kōen, the city’s most popular park, which buzzes with life on weekends.
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.