Tokyo - Day Trips from Tokyo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Tokyo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tokyo guide-book.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Tokyo and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Mt Fuji and Nikko.
- Follow the pilgrim trail up Mt Fuji, Japan’s most famous peak, for a sunrise to beat all others
- Ancient moss clinging to a stone wall, rows of perfectly aligned stone lanterns, vermilion gates and towering cedars – this is a scene from Nikko, famous for its 17th-century shrines and temples
- A hot-spring resort in the mist-shrouded hills southwest of Tokyo, Hakone offers Mt Fuji views, scenery straight out of a woodblock painting, a volcano and plenty of onsen
- An ancient feudal capital and centre of Zen Buddhism, seaside Kamakura is packed with temples, plus the Daibutsu (Big Buddha) statue, but it also has a laid-back, earthy vibe and great restaurants
Coverage includes: Mt Fuji, Nikko, Hakone, Kamakura.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout