Tibet - U (PDF Chapter)
This is the Ü chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tibet guidebook.
Ü is Tibet’s heartland and contains almost all the landscapes you’ll find across the plateau, from sand dunes and meandering rivers to soaring peaks and juniper forests. Fine walking op-portunities abound, from day hikes and monastery koras (pilgrim circuits) to overnight treks.
- explore the mandala-shaped complex of Tibet’s first monastery, Samye Monastery
- stop at atmospheric Tradruk Monastery and pass by the ruins of cliffside Rechung-puk
- explore the juniper-scented kora (pilgrim circuit) at Reting Monastery and the meditation re-treat of Tsongkhapa before making the lovely walk to Samtenling Nunnery
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Northern Ü, Tsurphu Valley, Nam-tso, Reting Valley, Lhundrub County, Medro Gongkar County, Lhoka Prefecture, Samye, Tsetang, Yarlung Valley, Chongye Valley, Mindroling, Dratang, Gongkar.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.