Tibet - Tsang (PDF Chapter)
This is the Tsang chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tibet guidebook.
The historical province of Tsang is either the first or last place that most travellers experience in Tibet, and the setting for two of Asia’s great mountain drives: out to far western Tibet and across the Himalaya to Nepal.
- try to catch your breath under the unparalleled north face of Mt Everest
- explore the cobbled laneways and glowering chapels of Tashilhunpo Monastery, one of Tibet’s most important monastic institutions
- soak up the sacred atmosphere and reams of ancient scriptures inside impressive Sakya Monastery
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lhasa to Nangartse, Nangartse, Gyantse, Nyang-chu Valley, Shigatse & Around, Sakya, Shegar, Everest Region, Tingri, Lhatse, Kyirong Valley.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation