Tibet - Lhasa (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lhasa chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tibet guidebook.
Despite rampant modernisation and expansion, Lhasa (the Place of the Gods) is still a city of wonders. The red and white Potala Palace soaring above the holy city still raises the goose bumps, while the old Tibetan quarter continues to preserve the flavour of traditional Tibetan life.
- following monks, mendicants and fellow pilgrims around the medieval pilgrim path, the Bar-khor circuit
- joining the lines of awed pilgrims around the glowing shrines of the Jokhang, Tibet’s holiest sanctum
- ogling the murals and stupas at the Red Palace of the Potala, the impressive but spiritless citadel of the Dalai Lamas
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lhasa & around, Drepung Monastery, Nechung Mon-astery, Sera Monastery, Pabonka Monastery, Ganden Monastery, Drak Yerpa, Drölma Lhakhang, and Shongse (Shugsheb) Nunnery.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.