Tibet - Lhasa (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lhasa chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tibet guidebook.
Lhasa – ‘Place of the Gods’ – remains largely a city of wonders. Your first view of the red-and-white Potala Palace soaring above the Holy City raises goosebumps and the charming whitewashed old Tibetan quarter continues to preserve the essence of traditional Tibetan life.
- follow monks, mendicants and pilgrims around the medieval Barkhor Circuit
- join the lines of awed pilgrims at the glowing shrines of Tibet’s holiest sanctum, Jokhang Temple
- shuffle past murals and stupas in the impressive citadel of the Dalai Lamas, Potala Pal-ace
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Activities, Festivals & Events, Sleep-ing, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Around Lhasa.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation