Tibet - Gateway Cities (PDF Chapter)
Given the complicated logistics of getting into Tibet, it’s advisable to at least stay overnight in a gateway city en route to Lhasa, either to pick up your permit, meet up with your fellow travellers or to buffer potential delays in your international flights.
- follow the 60s Hippy Trail from colourful and chaotic Kathmandu
- explore western Sìchuan from Chéngdu before heading to Tibet
- take the Qinghai–Tibet Railway from Xiníng
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Kathmandu, Chéngd?, Xiníng.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.