Tibet - Eastern Tibet (PDF Chapter)
This is the Eastern Tibet chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tibet guidebook.
Overlapping much of the historic Tibetan region of Kham, eastern Tibet is the face you never knew Tibet had: a land of raging rivers and deep gorges, immense pine forests and azalea-filled meadows, outspoken monks and rebel nomads.
- marvel at the massive Mikdo Glacier in the shadow of a 6385m peak
- explore the shores of a holy lake, Draksum-tso, and the island monastery therein
- learn why Bakha Gompa was built on the grave of Princess Wenchang’s child and enjoy sunset views from the porch of a guesthouse
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Nyingtri Prefecture, Draksum-tso, Bayi, Bakha Island, Pomi, Chamdo Prefecture, Rawok, Pasho, Pomda.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation