The Netherlands - Northeastern Netherlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northeastern Netherlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s The Nether-lands guidebook.
Few travellers venture to this far corner of the Netherlands, but those who don’t go are miss-ing out on the country’s rural heart, a place where traditions are kept alive and prehistoric relics dot the landscape.
- experience northern culture at its best in the vibrant student city of Groningen, packed with interesting museums, elegant churches, atmospheric cafes and edgy bars
- don a pair of welly boots and stomp out a muddy trail across the Wadden Sea’s tidal mud-flats with an experienced guide in Hoogeland; night walks are particularly magical
- walk the 16th-century fortified ramparts of the remote fortress town of Bourtange
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Groningen Province, Groningen, Hoogeland, Bour-tange, Drenthe Province, Assen.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.