The Netherlands - Friesland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Friesland (Fryslân) chapter from Lonely Planet’s Netherlands guidebook.
At first, Friesland seems typically Dutch: it’s flat, it’s green and there are plenty of cows (the namesake black-and-white variety). But explore a bit and you’ll find its differences. For one, the province has its own language, as you’ll see on road signs.
- explore the excellent museums and shady backstreets of Leeuwarden
- find your own little piece of solitude on the isle of Schiermonnikoog
- kick back in Hindeloopen, a timeless coastal town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Leeuwarden (Ljouwert), Waddenzee Coast, Harlingen (Harns), Southwestern Friesland, Sneek (Snits), Hindeloopen (Hylpen), Frisian Islands, Vlieland, Terschelling, Ameland and Schiermonnikoog.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.