The Italian Lakes - Lake Maggiore & Around (PDF Chapter)
Italy’s second-largest lake, Maggiore is one of Europe’s more graceful corners. Arrayed around the lake shore are a series of pretty towns (Stresa, Verbania, Cannobio and, on the Swiss side of the border, Locarno), which serve as gateways to gorgeous Maggiore islands.
- spend the day wandering the Borromean Islands’ lavish villas and colourful gardens, stop-ping for lunch at a picturesque island fishing village
- explore the tiny island of Orta San Giulio, lunching on a lakeside piazza and climbing the sacred mountain for captivating scenery
- take a serene riverside walk, followed by a meal in one of Maggiore’s most charming vil-lages, Cannobio
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lake Maggiore West Bank, Stresa, Arona, Borromean Islands, Verbania, Cannobio, Lake Maggiore East Bank, Laveno, Casalzuigno, Santa Caterina del Sasso, Ranco, Angera, Varese Region, Varese, Santa Maria del Monte, Castiglione Olona, Castelseprio & Torba, Lake Orta, Orta San Giulio, Locarno (Switzerland), Ascona.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.