The Big Trip
4th Edition Apr 2019
Ships in 1-2 business days
So, you want to experience the ultimate overseas adventure?
Whether you’re a gap year student or young traveller, taking a sabbatical or career break, a parent or guardian wanting to travel with your children, or in retirement and looking for your next adventure – The Big Trip is for you.
Advice and information in this comprehensive companion, now in its 4th edition, has been thoroughly revised and updated to include expert tips and recommendations that will help you create and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime dream adventure abroad.
We’ve also added a new section about how to use your time away to turn your life’s passion into a new career, with advice on gaining professional accreditation in climbing, mountaineering, diving, sailing, snowsports, wildlife guiding and more. There’s also a chapter on accessible travel by Martin Heng for specialist destination and travel advice for those with a disability.
Improved accommodation advice now covers everything from cheap and cheerful digs for budget backpackers to higher-end hotels for those wishing to spend more.
- Blackwater rafting through eerie glow-worm-lit Waitomo Caves in New Zealand
- Attempting a Tibetan kora (pilgrimage) around Mt Kailash, Asia’s most sacred mountain
- Surfing your way along Hawaii's best beach breaks
- Getting down and dirty at the Boryeong Mud Festival in Korea
- Discovering your top temple at Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- Volunteering on a marine conservation project off the coast of Madagascar
- Learning to speak Italian at an institute in the heart of Rome
- Stirring your soul along the sacred, ghat-lined Ganges in Varanasi, India
- Learning to make Balinese dishes worthy of paradise
- Climbing to Bhutan's iconic cliff-clinging monastery, Taktshang Goemba
- Taking a tandem hang-gliding flight from Pedra Bonita over Rio de Janeiro
- Qualifying to teach everything from English to skiing, diving and mountaineering
The Big Trip is your ticket to all this and more:
- Essential pre-trip planning: health, safety, kit, costs, tickets (new tips such as five apps to keep
you safe, nine best ways to save on air tickets online)
- Volunteering and working abroad: from freelancing and fruit picking to yacht-crewing and teaching
- Regional overviews, maps and a diverse range of road-tested itineraries
- Tips and stories from experts and travellers, who range from teenagers to seniors and those travelling with their kids
- Comprehensive directory of essential resources
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.