Thailand - Northern Thailand (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Thailand chapter from Lonely Planet’s Thailand guide-book.
What can’t you do in northern Thailand?
The region’s premier draw is its nature, and its rugged geography is a playground for outdoor pursuits ranging from a rafting excursion in Um Phang to a hike among wild orchids in Mae Hong Son.
For those drawn to the human side of things, there’s also northern Thailand’s buffet of cultural attractions. The region is regarded as the birthplace of much of Thai culture and is a great place to take part in activities, from exploring a Buddhist temple in Phrae to crashing at a homestay in rural Sukhothai.
In the north, even niche players are catered for: intrepid explorers can join a hill-tribe trek in Mae Sariang or a road trip to Phayao; history buffs can travel back in time at Sukhothai Historical Park; and even the most devout beach bum could be converted by the inland party scene in Pai.
- explore one of Thailand’s lesser-known protected areas, Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- hike and raft to Nam Tok Thilawsu, the country’s most beautiful waterfall
- investigate the unique culture of northern Thailand’s remote Chinese outposts at Doi Mae Salong
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Chiang Rai Province, Chiang Rai, Ban Ruam Mit & Around, Doi Mae Salong (Santikhiri), Mae Sai, Chiang Saen, Sop Ruak, Chiang Khong, Pha-yao Province, Phayao, Nan Province, Nan & Around, Phrae Province, Phrae, Lamphun Province, Lamphun, Doi Khun Tan National Park, Lampang Province, Lampang & Around, Su-khothai Province, Sukhothai, Si Satchanalai-Chaliang Historical Park, Phitsanulok Province, Phitsanulok, Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park, Kamphaeng Phet Province, Kamphaeng Phet, Tak Province, Mae Sot, Mae Sot to Um Phang, Um Phang & Around, Mae Sot to Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son Province, Pai, Soppong & Around Soppong, Mae Hong Son & Around Son, Khun Yuam, Mae Sariang.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation