Thailand - Northern Thailand (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Thailand chapter from Lonely Planet’s Thailand guide-book.
What can’t you do in northern Thailand?
The region’s premier draw is its nature, and its rugged geography is a playground for outdoor pursuits ranging from a rafting excursion in Um Phang to a hike among wild orchids in Mae Hong Son.
For those drawn to the human side of things, there’s also northern Thailand’s buffet of cul-tural attractions. The region is regarded as the birthplace of much of Thai culture and is a great place to take part in activities, from exploring a Buddhist temple in Phrae to crashing at a homestay in rural Sukhothai.
In the north, even niche players are catered for: intrepid explorers can join a hill-tribe trek in Mae Sariang or a road trip to Phayao; history buffs can travel back in time at Sukhothai Historical Park; and even the most devout beach bum could be converted by the inland party scene in Pai.
- explore one of Thailand’s lesser-known protected areas, Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- hike and raft to Nam Tok Thilawsu, the country’s most beautiful waterfall
- investigate the unique culture of northern Thailand’s remote Chinese outposts at Doi Mae Salong
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Chiang Rai Province, Chiang Rai, Ban Ruam Mit & Around, Doi Mae Salong (Santikhiri), Mae Sai, Chiang Saen, Sop Ruak, Chiang Khong, Pha-yao Province, Phayao, Nan Province, Nan & Around, Phrae Province, Phrae, Lamphun Prov-ince, Lamphun, Doi Khun Tan National Park, Lampang Province, Lampang & Around, Su-khothai Province, Sukhothai, Si Satchanalai-Chaliang Historical Park, Phitsanulok Province, Phitsanulok, Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park, Kamphaeng Phet Province, Kamphaeng Phet, Tak Province, Mae Sot, Mae Sot to Um Phang, Um Phang & Around, Mae Sot to Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son Province, Pai, Soppong & Around Soppong, Mae Hong Son & Around Son, Khun Yuam, Mae Sariang.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.