Thailand - Central Thailand (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Thailand chapter from Lonely Planet’s Thailand guide-book.
History lives and breathes in central Thailand’s misty valleys and jungle-fringed rivers. The region’s crowning glory is Ayuthaya, Siam’s former royal capital. The town is practically an open-air museum, with dozens of breathtaking temple ruins peopled by stone Buddhas. Khmer-style temples are also a draw in Lopburi, 50km north, though the atmosphere is far less serene in Thailand’s ‘Monkey City’.
Heading west, Kanchanaburi’s museums chronicle the dark history of the Thailand–Burma Railway (aka the Death Railway) and WWII memorials pay tribute to thousands of lost lives. Scenery gets wetter and wilder following Mae Nam Khwae Yai northwest. The river’s tributaries are hugged by sedate villages (and the occasional riverside resort) and skirt national parks such as the waterfall-kissed Erawan and Sai Yok.
Life dawdles at an even slower pace in Sangkhlaburi in the multi-ethnic northwest, where villages and national parks bordering Myanmar have a beguiling, frontier feel.
- cycle between enigmatic ruins and colossal Buddhas in Ayuthaya, and watch the sunset paint them gold
- be rendered speechless by the harrowing history of the Death Railway in Kanchana-buri
- clamber up seven levels of waterfall to splash in aquamarine pools in Erawan National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Ayuthaya Province, Ayuthaya & Around, Lopburi Province, Lopburi, Kanchanaburi Province, Kanchanaburi & Around, Nam Tok, Sai Yok National Park, Thong Pha Phum National Park, E-Thong, Sangkhlaburi.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.