Texas - Houston & East Texas (PDF Chapter)
This is the Houston & East Texas chapter from Lonely Planet’s Texas guide-book.
More down-home than Dallas, more buttoned-up than Austin, Houston has money and cul-ture, but wears them like a good ol’ country boy come to town. Within day-trip distance you can visit NASA and the place where Texas won its independence.
- kick back on a shady patio, drink at hand, in an atmospheric Houston bar like Porch Swing Pub
- explore newly gussied-up Buffalo Bayou Park, which is surprisingly naturalistic, in the very heart of Houston
- ponder what was, what might have been and what still could be at Space Center Houston, the heart of NASA’s US space program
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Houston, Clear Lake & Around, Kemah, La Porte, Seabrook, Huntsville, Washington County, Brenham, Burton, Round Top, La Grange, Chappell Hill, Washington-on-the-Brazos, Bryan–College Station, Northeast Texas, Nacogdoches, Tyler, Canton, Kilgore, Jefferson, Caddo Lake, Carthage, Edom & Ben Wheeler.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.