Texas - Big Bend & West Texas (PDF Chapter)
This is the Big Bend & West Texas chapter from Lonely Planet’s Texas guide-book.
Welcome to the land of wide open spaces. Dip below the interstate and you’ll find vistas as captivating as they are endless: rugged Western-movie terrain and alien landscapes, with huge rock formations jutting suddenly out of the desert.
- get up early to hike a leafy trail to a big view in the Chisos Mountains, Big Bend National Park
- step into the Chinati Foundation Museum, a historic artillery shed in Marfa, for a scenic col-lision of art, architecture and the west Texas plains
- watch the setting sun change the sky’s color in every direction from the summit of Skyline Drive om Davis Mountains State Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Big Bend National Park & Around, Terlingua & Study Butte, Big Bend Ranch State Park & Around, Central West Texas, Fort Davis & Davis Mountains, Marfa, Alpine, Marathon, El Paso, Guadalupe Mountains National Park.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation