Tasmania - Cradle Country & The West (PDF Chapter)
This is the Cradle Country & the West chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tasmania guidebook.
If you imagined Tasmania as a land of alpine peaks and untouched wilderness, then you’ve imagined the wild west’s endless beaches, ancient rainforests and boundless horizons. This is Tasmania’s vast outdoor playground, where your options for adventure are plentiful.
- get a bird’s-eye view of World Heritage wilderness then land by seaplane on the Gordon River
- feel the power of Roaring Forties waves on 33km-long Ocean Beach
- watch the true tale of convict escape in Strahan’s hilarious production, The Ship that Never Was
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Tullah, Rosebery, Zeehan, Strahan, Queenstown, Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Cradle Mountain–Lake St Clair National Park, the Southwest, Maydena, Lake Pedder Impoundment, Strathgordon, Southwest National Park and Melaleuca.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.