Tasmania - Cradle Country & the West (PDF Chapter)
This is the Cradle Country & the West chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tasmania guidebook.
Welcome to the island’s wild west, a land of endless ocean beaches, ancient mossy rainfor-ests, tannin-tinted rivers, glacier-sculpted mountains, wildflower-strewn high plains and bound-less horizons – a place where you’ll often feel like you are the only soul on earth.
- walk through World Heritage–listed landscape from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair on the Overland Track
- travel through the wilderness in style on the scenic West Coast Wilderness Railway
- sail up rainforest-edged waterway on a Gordon River Cruise, stopping at historic Sarah Is-land en route
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Tullah, Rosebery, Zeehan, Strahan, Queenstown, Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, The Southwest.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.