Tanzania - Zanzibar Archipelago (PDF Chapter)
This is the Zanzibar Archipelago chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tanzania guidebook.
Step off the boat or plane onto the Zanzibar Archipelago, and you’ll be transported through time and space. With its tropical tableau and unique culture, the archipelago offers a fascinating and highly enjoyable East African Indian Ocean experience.
- marvel at the House of Wonders, the most famous building in Stone Town, Zanzibar Town’s historic quarter
- bargain for spice, colourful cloth or live chickens at traditional Darajani Market in Zanzibar Town
- launch from Fumba and view the ocean from the deck of a traditional boat in the Menai Bay
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Zanzibar, Stone Town & Ng’ambo (Zanzibar Town), Offshore Islands, Bububu (Fuji Beach), Mangapwani, Nungwi, Kendwa, Matemwe, Kiwengwa, Pongwe, Jozani-Chwaka Bay National Park, Michamvi Peninsula, Bwejuu, Paje, Jambiani, Makunduchi, Kizimkazi, Menai Bay, Pemba, Chake Chake & Around, Wambaa, Mkoani, Kiweni Island, Wete, Tumbe, Ngezi Forest Reserve, and Kigomasha Peninsula.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation