Tanzania - Western Tanzania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Tanzania chapter from Lonely Planet’s Tanzania guidebook.
Western Tanzania is rough, remote frontier land, with vast trackless expanses and few visitors. Gombe Stream and Mahale Mountains National Parks are two of the world’s best places for chimpanzee encounters, while Katavi National Park offer an almost primeval safari experience.
- visit Mahale Mountains National Park, the ultimate ‘get-away-from-it-all’ destination
- venture into the forests to mingle with the chimps made famous by Jane Goodall’s studies at Gombe National Park
- sail from port to port down Lake Tanganyika aboard the MV Liemba, the historic ferry that inspired the movie The African Queen
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Tabora, Kigoma, Ujiji, Gombe Stream National Park, Mahale Mountains National Park, Kalema, Kipili, Kasanga, Mpanda, Katavi National Park, and Sumbawanga.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.